For the Shish Barak dumplings :
- 500g of ground beef
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp of vegetable oil
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of white pepper
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
For the sauce :
- 1 kg of Laban Massabki
- 3 tsp of starch
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp of dried mint
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
1. Preparing the dough: place the flour in a bowl and add salt. Add water until the dough becomes soft. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 30 min.
2. Preparing the filling: Finely chop the onion and fry in a skillet with the vegetable oil until golden. Add the ground meat, cinnamon, pepper and salt and fry until the meat turns brown. Set aside to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
4. Making the dumplings: on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough and cut into small circles.
5. In each circle, place 1 teaspoon of filling. Fold in half and press edges together. Bring both corners together and seal well.
6. Preparing the sauce: strain the yogurt into a pot, add the dissolved starch and place over medium heat. Stir continuously until the yogurt thickens then reduce the heat.
7. In a small skillet, fry the minced garlic and fresh coriander with the vegetable oil and add them to the yogurt. Mix well and turn off the heat
8. 10 minutes before serving, put the dumplings in the oven and place in laban Massabki
In order to preserve their crunchiness, you can choose to serve on the side of the laban.
This dish is usually served with vermicelli rice.
Bon appétit !